In my earlier posts "Switch on and off my server with the SB" and "No
More shutdown with xPLHal" I tried to figure out, how to shutdown and
restart my Windows XP Server with my remote.

Now, I CAN shutdown my server pressing 1,2,3 on my remote and I ALSO
CAN restart my server pressing the power button on my remote.

BUT I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHO THAT WORKS ...

The standby mode was not really good because it is not reliable after a
couple of hours and the hibernate mode didn't work with my machine.

Now, the PC completely shutting down. That's good for me and my wishes.
BUT HOW DOES THAT WORKS???

I'm using xPLHal and the command-line utility NirCmd (see
www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html) with the command 'nircmd.exe exitwin
poweroff'.

Also I want to know, whether I could do the same under a Linux (i.e.
Debian, Knoppix, Ubuntu, SlimCD) system. Are there any tools for linux
shutting down and restart a server by pressing the remote? Not in a
schedule. Individual!

Thanks

--
Toby