LOL - thanks Mark, I've been kind of figuring I was pushing my luck.
I just don't see why it should be so flaky - IIRC SMC uses the same
chipsets as Linksys, so why so different?
Here's the latest info: the SB3 does reconnect to the router every 20
seconds or so after a failure, but somehow still doesn't reconnect to
the server (this is with static ip, so shouldn't it?) If I leave it
alone, it will eventually reconnect, but it sometimes takes quite a
while. (BTW, slimserver never comes up and says it can't find the
player - shouldn't it?)
So I'm stumped - maybe the Slim Devices tech guys have some ideas?

--
nicketynick