Yeah, I think there is a lot of anecdotal evidence that the current
model is broken, and the greed of the record companies is part of what
is broken.

Personally, I like the model proposed a number of years ago for print
materials ... you go to the library, you take a book off the shelf,
take it to the photocopier, a library staff member (or some automaton)
checks how many pages you photocopied and charges you a couple of cents
per page for the copyright, you leave 5 minutes later with the
information you wanted, AND you paid your copyright dues to the right
people.

Nowadays, I guess, you could browse the PDF, print the 3 pages you
want, pay your 9 cents with micropayment software, and be gone with
it.

Downloading MP3s should work the same way. Pity it doesn't, and pity
the record industry doesn't see how they're pissing in their own soup
by not getting ahead of this wave and offering it.

Back to the sticker in every slim box.

MP3 is not a crime.

--
Michaelwagner