stinkingpig Wrote:
> kewe65 wrote:
> > To be accurate, they play audio on machines that have QuickTime
> > installed - it does not "use iTunes".
> >
> > And since you must have QuickTime installed to use iTunes (DRM files
> or
> > not), I'm not sure what the big deal is?
> >
> > Music Library is a Java-based program that uses the QuickTime API for
> > this purpose.
> >

> All of these play via the computers' sound card, or an Apple Airport
> Express.
>

> > I'm just looking for a decent hardware device that will stream audio
> > wirelessly from the PC to the stereo.
> >

> You've found one.
>

> > What Im interested in discussing is how one would extend the
> SlimServer
> > software to include Music Library as a playback source (as opposed to
> > iTunes).
> >
> > Where should I go to discuss that?
> >

> Right here. Slimserver does what you're asking -- however, it cannot
> play the encrypted files that you buy from ITMS unless you decrypt them
>
> first. This design limitation is imposed by Apple and cannot be
> overcome
> by the Slim Devices engineers, unless you want to tap the computer's
> sound card (the so-called "analog hole"). Check out icecast if you want
>
> to go this way; my page at
> http://www.monkeynoodle.org/comp/hardware/slim_radio should provide an
> adequate starting point.

No, the files are decoded prior to the soundcard.  A programmer
reverse-engineered the quicktime API for the protected format and put
the method in a book - "QuickTime for Java: A Developer's Notebook" By
Chris Adamson

The software I'm talking about, "Music Library", is unique in that it's
the only thing out there right now that will play all different file
types AND also access Sony CD Changer tracks via a Slink-e AND placed
them in the same inventoried library list.

http://www.mccain.metaconnect.com/musiclib.htm

-

not really 'found' yet. not until i can play the protected files along
with everything else.

-

I'm curious about this latter path.  Could you describe this in lay
terms?  I could use the squeezebox to receive the stream based on
capturing whatever is passed to the soundcard?

I already actually have the computer wired to take the output from the
card to go back into the PC via a 2nd sound card - a Lynx Studio pro
model.

This allows me to record anything the PC plays without any extra
software...

--
kewe65