kewe65 Wrote:
> BSomewhere along the line - i guess once people started ripping their
> collection - the function of a changer became intolerable?  A
> facscinating and quite humorous comment on the "need it all, right now"
> mentality digital media and access has created.

Hrrm, no it is more to do with the benefits of Random Access Storage
devices as opposed to Sequential Access.  It has more to do with
keeping the number of moving parts (Things Which Break) down.  It has
more to do with the affordability ($300'ish for a 400 CD changer, of
which I'd need multiple units, vs $80 for a HD which could store as
many CDs in lossless format as a couple changers).  It has more to do
with not needing to devote serial ports to IR outputs to control the
changer.  It has more to do with not needing to have a sound card that
supports digital inputs (one per changer even) so that I'm not losing
quality in superflous D/A conversions...  It has more to do with
scalability (some people here have well over 50,000 tracks.. at an
average of 15 tracks per CD, how many changers is that?  How many
digital inputs?  how many serial-to-IR convertors?)

The function of a changer is no longer useful.  There are better
solutions to "how do I store several hundred albums in a small,
affordable and easily addressable manner?"

This happens with technology.  People come up with "better things" all
the time.  People who are open to change, to actually looking at the
best solution for a problem learn to use the new solutions.

--
snarlydwarf