jmpage2 Wrote:
> The point is that the Slim box fits into the general computing category.
> How many network appliances fetch $300 (answer, not too many).  Whether
> it is "expensive" or a "bargain" is obviously in the eye of the
> individual consumer.  Personally I think that the Squeezebox is
> starting to creep out of the audiophile/tweaker closet and get closer
> to being something that the masses will embrace (although it will
> require much dumbing down of software and installation for that to
> happen).
>
> When that DOES happen more and more people will put the Squeezebox up
> against products that cost 1/2 the price for the same basic
> functionality (Roku, airport express, etc)... and it really won't
> matter to them if the SB has a better DAC or extra outputs or a
> slightly better display.
>
> Personally I think that Slim should go the Roku route.  Offer a very
> budget conscious $149 Squeezebos "lite" that offers basic capabilities
> at a fantastic pricepoint.  Then price a souped up version with a
> bigger display, higher quality DAC, etc, for $100 more.  A deluxe
> version could even do full multimedia have an HDMI output, etc.
>
> I think that Sean and company have done quite well catering to the
> geeks, tweakers and audio nuts, but at some point to keep selling
> equipment they will have to cater to joe 6 pack.
I see nothing wrong with catering to a niche market if that's what Slim
wants to do. They don't have to be all things to all people. It has to
"maintain," but a business doesn't have to "grow" to survive, as long
as theire balance sheet stays black, that's all that matters unless
they have other aspirations.

--
jonheal

Jon Heal says: