Wow, thanks for all the quick responses!  You guys are awesome.

> How about a Squeezebox in each of those 11 rooms instead of a Nokia 770?

I was only planning to buy one Nokia 770.  Sorry, I wasn't very clear
above.  I have a couple of laptops (one on each floor) that I can also
use as controllers, so I shouldn't have to hunt too long to find one.
I usually just set the music to a long playlist or an Internet radio
station, so I shouldn't have to do much fiddling with the controller
once the music starts.

One of my main goals is for all of the equipment to be unobtrusive and
hidden out of sight.  The only thing I want to "see" is the music.  The
Squeezebox is very nice looking, but I still don't want to put one in
every room.

I'd also have to run a long RCA cable from each Squeezebox to an amp in
the basement.  Either that, or I'd have to have an amp in every room,
adding to the visual clutter and sucking up another outlet.

Plus, eleven sound cards are a lot cheaper than eleven Squeezeboxes.

> I would suggest using squeezeslave rather than SoftSqueeze

I just downloaded a copy of Squeezeslave .5 to my Windows laptop.  I'm
using it to stream from SlimServer on my PowerBook.  Squeezeslave
started flaking out and stuttering after a couple of songs.
Softsqueeze did the same thing.  It could just be my generally flaky
Windows 98 machine (Pentium III 500).

The release notes for Squeezeslave said that it "can only playback on
one audio device."  Does that mean it can only direct its output to one
sound card?  If so, that's a deal killer for my proposed setup.

> an $8 sound card probably won't sound very good...

What specs should I look for in a good sound card?

> Chose to store library in FLAC rather than MP3 to improve sound quality.

I'm not an audiophile.  I can't hear the difference between FLAC and an
MP3 encoded with LAME's standard setting through headphones, so I doubt
I'll be able to hear the difference through small overhead speakers at
low-ish volume.

I'm planning to only install one CAT5e drop per floor.  Each floor will
also have a wireless access point.  I hate having to plug things like
laptops into an Ethernet jack.

--
bmarston