I ran some rough numbers for the different options based on 11 zones.
The costs below don't include labor and materials for the speaker
wiring.

SONOS
(I'd have to buy a 12th player for the media room, where I was planning
to use Softsqueeze on a Mac Mini connected to a 5.1 home theater
receiver.)

$6,000 players
$660 speakers
_$400_controller_
$7,060 total

Pro:
All-in-one solution

WIRED SQUEEZEBOXES IN BASEMENT
$2,750 SBs
$1,210 amps
$605 speakers
_$350_Nokia_770_
$4,915 total

Pros:
Open source

Cons:
I'd feel bad putting such a pretty user interface in the basement.
I'd probably need to build some sort of rack for the SBs.
I'd need a hub and a lot of outlets in the basement.

*Computer-Based Players in Basement*
$772.50 computers
$1,210 amps
$605 speakers
_$350_Nokia_770_
$2,937.50 total

Pros:
Cheap

Cons:
I'd have to build the computers.
I'm not sure if it will work.

I'm leaning toward the Golden Mean (wired SBs in the basement) at the
moment.

--
bmarston