On 5/2/06, mitip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

How wonderfully amusing all these replies!  Yet it is a fundament of
design to make an object to LOOK appropriate for its job i.e. a sports
car look fast, a couch look comfortable,

Your're making a function follows form argument.  Yet sports car's look fast because aerodynamics mandate that all fast things look basically the same.  And we've learned that fast things have a certain look.  I've seen many different couches, and not all of them are comfortable or look comfortable.  And they also look comfortable because we're conditioned to know that if a couch looks a certain way it is more likely comfortable than not.

I've got a Gallileo thermometer that looks like it's plenty fast and portable, just like a rocket ready to take off, yet I don't use it to sample temperatures from room to room or take it outside to make a daily weather report.

I'm not sure why I'm continuing to reply, but your wife sounds like a smart person.  You want a portable music device, buy one.  Don't buy one that never pretended to be one yet happens to look like one.