*I* didn't say you are arguing against me.

You seem to think so. Not sure why.

I'm saying the same thing I have said, repeatedly, on this topic, for
over a year now.

For squeezeboxes to be a complete solution, something, other than
slimserver, should be maintaining the information you want, in the way
you want it, and stuffing them into the tags.

Where we *may* disagree is that you seem to want a direct path from a
database like the one you maintain in access and the Slim database,
whereas I think it's more robust if that information is carried in the
file tags and thence into Slimserver.

My reason is that, when information about a single item is stored in
multiple files, utilities like copy or backup can copy one without the
other, yielding data which is out of sync.

Storing all information about a music file inside the one file means
that an O/S copy doesn't need to peek inside the database and copy bits
of the database as well in order to keep the data up to date and
accurate, and backups and restores just work.

You think tags are only for portable players. I disagree. I think
they're for O/S<=>application independence.

--
Michaelwagner