Not too bad for resource use - they seem to take about 7% CPU each (including any SlimServer overheads - I'm running it on the same box) on my Athlon64. Could be media encoding dependant though?

I might try out alternative players with their own web interfaces sometime (MediaPlayerClassic, VLC) if I can find the enthusiasm to integrate the web interfaces (I'm only interested in web interface control).

From: NWP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: discuss@lists.slimdevices.com
Subject: [slim] Re: Multiple SoftSqueeze instances on a single PC
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 00:27:06 -0700

Nathaniel Morgan Wrote:

> I'm using a M-Audio Delta 1010 soundcard with breakout box. It supports
> 10
> out channels (5 stereo pairs). Each stereo pair is treated as a
> separate
> sound device by Windows. You just configure each softsqueeze instance
> with
> one of the stereo pair virtual devices, and away you go - 5 different
> players on one PC (actually 6, because I can also use the built-in
> sound
> card).

Wow, that sounds really interesting (and cool).

The one question that comes to mind for me immediately is how is the
performance?  The Softsqueeze player sometimes seems to use a lot of
resources, probably because it is written in Java.

This would seem like a perfect time to use Squeezeslave, but I don't
think you can change the virtual MAC address on that.  I also don't
think you can choose the output device it uses.

--
NWP