I feel I'm getting a bit off topic of the original meaning of the
thread, but here it comes.

NWP Wrote:
> If the databases are linked, either realtime or with periodic
> import/exports, how are they linked?
>
> They only way I can think of that would be possible would be linking on
> the field that contains the filepath.  I don't know anything about the
> internal workings of the slimserver db, but I assume there is a field
> that contains the path to the file.
The TrackStat plugin which stores its own persistent information inside
the slimserver database uses the following information as links between
the TrackStat tables and the slimserver tables:
1. Primary link is musicbrainz id's (slimserver will read the
musicbrainz tags from the files and store them in its database)
2. If musicbrainz id's does not exist the filepath is used as link
instead.

This results that if you have musicbrainz id's in the tags of your
files the links will survive a slimserver rescan. If you don't the
links will survive a rescan as long as you don't move the file.

There are also a third option for linking which might be possible to
use, but I think it isn't supported by slimserver yet. This third
option is the new PUID defined by musicdns.org.

Regarding storage of information in tags, my opinion is that tags is
useful for information that doesn't change often and isn't different
for different users. I don't want software to change my music files
continuously , the reason is that there is to easy that there is a bug
in the software that completely destroys the music file.

This means that tags should be used for stuff like:
- unique ids (PUID's, musicbrainz id's)
- artists, albums, track names
- track lengths, track numbers

Tags should on the other hand not be used for stuff like:
- last played time
- play counts
- ratings (which will be different for different users)

However, its still important that all this information is persistently
stored somewhere since it can't be easily regenerated.

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.homeip.net) 'My download page'