I recently looked around for a NAS to use as a dedicated slimserver, but
in my experience I found that most if not all of the small NAS units
were deficient in one or more of the following:

1. CPU Power
2. Noise (Fan and/or PSU noise)
3. Enough RAM
4. Disk Capacity
5. Ease of configuration (Slimserver installation) and support

In "my" order of importance. Note that I plan to rip a considerably
large number of CDs into flac. The order and importance of the features
above might not apply to those with "smaller" music libraries or using
smaller music file formats. I also did not look at the Qnap TS-101 very
closely as it was not big enough for my needs. During my quest I mostly
looked at multiple drive NAS units and I have been alternating between
a "dedicated Slimserver" on a NAS or on a HTPC platform.

1. CPU Power - Given the size of my music library and the way that "I"
see the Slimserver evolving - it will be necessary to use a more
powerful SQL engine to manage large music libraries efficiently. As the
SQL engine features and flexibility increase, so will the need for more
CPU power. You don't get something for nothing. Slim Devices made this
evident by providing a roadmap to MySQL, a more powerful SQL engine as
their future platform of choice. For those using music formats that are
not natively supported by the SB, there will a need for more CPU cycles
to have those formats decoded and streamed by the Decoder/Slimserver in
the NAS. Then there are the Plug-ins. The larger the number of plug-ins
and the more powerful they are -> the larger the demand for CPU cycles.
Rescanning the libraries and the Web interface also require precious
CPU cycles.

2. Noise - For me this is very important. I live in a small apartment
and the NAS has to live in my living room. It also has to fit my AV
system cabinet or hide some where close to it. Fan/PSU noise in most of
these NAS units, for me, is unacceptable. Most NAS units do not provide
a way to "easily" turn them on/off either. They require another
computer to manage them using a web interface. So, if you have a
universal IR remote and want turn your AV system on/off; you have to
get up for the NAS unless you want it to make noise 24/7 - (Hmmm, this
might help with getting one accustomed to the noise)

3. Enough RAM - For the obvious reasons. (Increase speed and larger
capacity for buffer/cache)

4. Disk Capacity - The small single drive units are limited by the
largest size drive available in the market. If your library, like my
flac library grows at a significant rate, then your drive might be full
before the next size is available... what do you do? In my case, a
multiple drive NAS with some level of RAID for fault tolerance is a
must have. In particular  RAID 5, which provides a high level of fault
tolerance and convenience. With hot-swapping one can add an additional
drive when the capacity is low and your multiple drive NAS is not fully
populated. Also when a drive fails one might loose performance, but
you're not completely out of business. Performance will suffer a bit
furhter while a failed drive is being re-build on a newly installed or
on a stanby hot-spare drive, but it is very convenient solution. I know
that RAID 5 drastically reduces the per drive capacity and it is
expensive. But that's a price I'm willing to pay for the convenience of
not having re-rip CDs (flac ripping takes a looong time) or having to
add more drive enclosures when I run out of space.

5. Ease of configuration and support - Oh, yes... how many more
weekends and nights is my wife going to allow me to play with this
thing. In reality the average Joe is not savvy enough to configure some
of these NAS units with Slimserver. For those of us technical enough to
shot our own feet, there is the issue of spending a long time
configuring this thing just to listen to some music. Hello! My wife
would say... "Get your lazy a$$ from the sofa and away from that laptop
and play a CD" Some of this NAS don't even have the require modules to
begin to install the Slimserver (Telnet, FTP... etc.) One has to build
modules and pray that that you didn't miss a library that will prevent
it from running in the NAS. Ok, for some this is fun, but for others
this is a daunting task. Not to mention that you're on your own as the
most vendors will not support your box once you modify it.

Ok, enough of my ranting. After looking around the best that "I" and
others have found are the multiple drives NAS units made by Infrant.
There are very flexible and as powerful as any small multiple drive NAS
that one can get. In particular I was very impressed by the ReadyNAS NV.
It is a bit expensive, but I think it's worth it. Besides providing RAID
0,1 and 5 support it provides X-RAID for Automatic Volume Expansion You
can read a review by Tom's Networking here:
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2006/03/03/infrant_readynas_nv/

I almost bought one of these, but the NOISE level and to some degree
the fear of lack of sufficient CPU power made me rethink my approach to
the dedicated Slimserver. The ReadyNAS NV supports the Slimserver out of
the box, but it doesn't yet support "all" the plug-ins. I'm skeptical
that it'll be underpowered to run the SlimServer with MySQL. One other
thing. You don't have to worry about vendor support as Infrant supports
"specific" releases of Slimserver with "some" limitations. Forget about
the betas.

Now, I'm looking to build a small "silent" HTPC using a mini-itx
motherboard with a mobile core-duo T2300 CPU, a PCI Ex RAID adapter,
4x500GB drives inside a sexy fanless case that looks like an AV system
component. This will give me room to grow my library and enough CPU
power to handle future releases of Slimserver and its plug-ins. The
RAID adapter also supports JBOD, just in case RAID 5 becomes too
taxing. Of course, the looks of this box will also make my wife happy.

Well, these are my 2 cents regarding NAS devices for a dedicated
Slimserver. Comments?

--
tamanaco