Bee Wrote:
> can somebody give the rule for knowing the maximum of concurent streams
> with one server (Intel IMac for example) over a 100BT ethernet, with
> mp3 files (256kbps) ... or other configurations ?

Well, at the top end: a 100Mbps LAN should give you about 50Mbps of
usable throughput, so divide 50,000 by 256 to get 195 theoretical
streams.

Other bottle necks include the capacity of your hard disc to deliver
bits (should be more than 50Mbps so not the limit) and the ability of
your slimserver to keep up (which will probably be the limiting factor
in practice - so depends on processor speed, system memory and other
tasks running).

This of course is assuming no transcoding on the server side.

This is a long way of saying there is probably no magic formula which
will tell you what you really want to know. Why not say how many you
were thinking of, and see if anyone can offer evidence of matching
that?

There was also a thread a while ago on how many streams people had
managed, and I seem to remember the answer was tens.

HTH
Ceejay

--
ceejay