bklaas Wrote:
> Though I've been a huge Slim fan for years now, I gotta be honest, I'm
> deflated. SqueezeBoomBox-- I'd preorder it today. Affordable SB4 with
> onboard "knob"--that at least makes my immediate wish list. But an
> audiophile product at that price point? Unless I get one gratis, count
> me way, way, way out. #!/ben
Well... it all depends on how it sounds, really.

Fancy replacement power supplies and mods, plus one stock SB3 as parts,
don't add up to that much less than this box, and it's an inconvenient
pain in the behind to do all the separate ordering and trans-shipping
-- not to mention that the cramped quarters and tight board design of
the existing little SBs reportedly set some limits on how good the
resulting device can possibly sound.

For me, it all comes down to the execution.  If Sean and chums have
indeed gotten this thing really right, I'll need to start saving my
pennies -- even though a lot of their effort has apparently gone into
the D/A and analog section, and I'm primarily interested in the
cleanest AES/EBU or S/PDIF (kudos for the apparent BNCs, dudes!)
digital output I can get my hands on.

You see, I've drunk heavily of the SlimServer Kool-Aid, and believe
that one's music archive really needs to be stored on normal computer
hardware, for ease of expanding storage and because tested backup
strategies exist, not in some proprietary box made by an audio company.
It then comes down to just the best possible interface for getting the
music from the network into the stereo.  If they've managed a real
improvement in that interface's audiophilic qualities, they've got my
interest.

Oh, and the commercial-building background-sound market is used to
paying this sort of price for a tough, high-quality device in this
formfactor -- look at some of the Sirius/XM receivers for that niche.

--
jbm0