I'm compelled to post since at the moment I am doing the oposite.  Using
rdesktop on a linux laptop to control the W2K Advanced Server box that
has my SlimServer on it.  I just thought that was funny.

JeffCharles Wrote:
> I especially like what NWP wrote: "But the best part about a linux
> server is you really don't need to administer it. Once it is set up, it
> just runs and you can forget about it." Sounds good to me.

That is dangerous advice.  Unpatched computers are bad news.
Historically unpatched unix-like machines were especially bad since a
hacker could do more damage to your network from a unix-like macine
than from a Windows machine.  Now days I don't know if that is as true.
Whatever you build you will need to keep it patched.  Several
distributions have automated ways of doing that.  Personally I tend to
build servers on SuSE since I have had very good luck with YOU (YaST
Online Update.)  The latest SuSE dropped YaST for something new that
doesn't seem to work as well.

Don't expect linux to be easy.  It can be a huge time sink.

If you are serious about *learning* linux, as opposed to *using* linux,
you might want to try Gentoo.  I have been a linux user for about seven
years.  Before that I was a user of FreeBSD, Irix, SunOS, and a little
Solaris.  I also admin a handfull of machines.  I have learned as much
in a couple months with Gentoo as I did in all those years with the
others.  You have to do frickin' everything by hand but you learn
things like what the last two numbers in the /etc/fstab actually mean.
I always wondered what they did.  The Gentoo docs explained it.

Good luck, and don't sell Windows short.  It really doesn't suck any
less than the others.

Dan

--
ComputerX