As for the wireless dropouts, it could be something as simple as a
channel change.  I recently noticed while I was on the phone (which is
a DECT cordless on 2.4GHz) I would have drop outs and my laptop would
have trouble reconnecting to the WLAN during the call.

I changed from Channel 6 to 3 on the wireless router and it's been many
months of perfect wireless performance for me ever since.

While software like netstumbler help to navigate around other WLAN, it
doesn't help with the miriad of other 2.4GHz devices out there, which
need to be avoided also.

--
matt24