I recently ran Cat5e throughout my home, a townhouse condo with three
levels plus an attic. I've now got ports, in some cases multiple ports,
in two bedrooms, the kitchen, living room, dining room, den, and utility
room (where the LinkStation NAS for my SB3 now resides).

I used up an entire 500 foot roll of Cat5e, and had to go out and buy a
second one, at least half of which got used. It took me four days to run
all the wires, with some drilling and lots of fishing in really
difficult to access places. While I was in there, I added RG6 coax
cable to a few of the rooms. I spent about $300 on parts (cables,
connectors, jacks, etc.), for work that would have cost me $2000 to
$3000 to have an electrician do. It was a major pain, but now that it's
done, I've got hard wired Ethernet in every room. Yee haa! What a joy to
not have to deal with WiFi any more. In addition, I'm using some of the
extra ports for audio distribution with baluns.

All in all, it was one of the best investments of time and money I've
ever made.

--
TiredLegs