For what it's worth, here are my rescanning numbers:

All my music is MP3 with "proper" tags (no embedded artwork though),
there's more or less 80% of my collection that has album artwork
contained in a single cover.jpg file per directory.

17666 songs, 1311 albums, 656 artists, 9 playlists (!)
For a full rescan, it took exactly 2 hours and 45 minutes and that's
running on an Linkstation HG300! with 128MB or RAM and a 266MHz RISC
processor!

The scanning process is taking 1.78 seconds per file and that's WITH
the d_scan debugs turned on! This is running on a computer the size
(and power) of a toaster! ;-)

I can only imagine it would be much faster on any half-decent desktop
computer...

Anyway, my $0.02...
Daniel

--