>From these responses, I gather that the gain adjustment is performed at
the player, but that it is done in the digital domain.  This implies
that it must be a 'lossy' process and should be turned off for best
quality reproduction.

This is a shame, because it does seem to me that, for the analogue
outputs, it ought to be possible to adjust the analogue gain in
response to the replaygain value and maintain a lossless reproduction.

I guess that I'll leave Volume Adjustment turned off on my main system,
but leave it turned on on the other SB which is used for
casual/background listening.

--
peterbell