While Slim Devices probably has the best solutions overall from a
technical standpoint (especially now with their true audiophile player)
that they're nowhere near the top of market with sales. I'd imagine
Roku, Apple (Airport Express), Linksys, etc. have the bottom end
covered, and Sonos, Escient, Olive, et al have the "high end" market
share.  Does anyone have actual numbers on this?

At any rate, I think Slim realized hitching their wagon to a bigger
company was the most effective way of increasing their market presence.
If you think about it they almost had to be bought by someone--better
that it's by a company who's willing to let them remain mostly
autonomous as opposed to merging with one of their competitors.  We'd
be in real trouble then (and I assume Sean and Dean wouldn't have done
that.)  Slim also couldn't have grown in terms of breadth of products,
new technologies (video?) and positioning without a larger company
backing them.

I'm reasonably confident we'll be seeing the Squeezebox Radio shortly,
and perhaps other neat products (handheld but with no local storage,
just WiFi?)

--
mrfantasy

--Mike