MrSinatra wrote:
> andyg;168410 Wrote:
>> The only things I can think of that would cause the drop-off of audio
>> bandwidth are wireless problems, internet problems, problems with the
>> broadcaster, or an ISP that throttles the traffic.  I think there is at
>> least one ISP (in the UK) that does this for certain ports to slow down
>> p2p traffic.
>
> but as i always have said, why then does winamp work???
>
> your only "other than SD" resort in that case, is to point to "the
> wirelessness" of someone's setup.
>
> but if it is NOT the wirelessness, as in my case, then it MUST be
> winamp, yes?  (local music of 256kbps played fine always)
>
> or would you disagree?
>
> if you would please finally agree with me that my wireless setup is
> fine, how do you then explain the inability (at the time it was
> happening) of SD to play a 32kbps stream, that winamp could play fine?
> not to mention the 128kbps that SD couldn't even load that winamp also
> played fine?
>
> thats the question that i say you have never addressed.  i know you
> want to help, but it seems to me you feel that if you can't reproduce
> it then it must be some esoteric weirdness of the troubled user, rather
> than the product.

I don't normally use Internet radio, but I thought I'd try it to see if
it worked for me.

Shoutcast worked fine. I couldn't work out how to use the shoutcast.com
URL [1] but using the IP address directly [2] worked fine. Also, many
other shoutcase stations played fine.

By "played/worked fine" I mean that I click the URL and the station
begins playing in 1-2 seconds.

Now, this doesn't rule out a problem with the Squeezebox/Slimserver
combination, but it does suggest that there may be some difference in
your setup that triggers the issue.

I can understand your frustration, but it's really hard to fix something
when you can't reproduce it (been there, done that, got the t-shirt).

Can you remind me what your setup is, i.e. server OS, SB version,
Slimserver version, firmware revision, network topology, etc ?

R.

PS. My setup is:

Transporter wirelessly connected to Linksys WRT54GS using WPA2
Linksys connected to Cisco ADSL modem/router
Metronet broadband (unlimited, 8Mb/s)
slimserver trunk running on Linux (FC6)

[1] http://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein-station.pls?id=3201
[2] http://205.188.215.225:8006/