sdevans;168893 Wrote:
> I have my music stored (as FLAC) on a simple windows 2000 PC stuck to my
> garage wall. I'm buying a laptop for the first time, and I'm stuck on a
> Macbook. I'm also planning on buying a ipod as it now supports gapless
> playback.
>
> I want a mp3/aac version of my entire music library on the laptop
> managed via itunes so that I can do the whole playlist/syncing to my
> ipod.
>
> I know I can use foobar to convert my library to mp3 and copy it over
> to the laptop (after a couple of days), but how to keep this
> up-to-date?
I use the flac2mp3 script on my server, it converts my whole music
directory of flac files to mp3 files in another directory with the same
structure every night. The result is that I have both a flac and mp3
directory tree on the server. Slimserver is configured to point to the
flac tree. Once in a while I run rsync from the laptop to copy changed
or now files in the mp3 tree on the server to the corresponding mp3
tree on the laptop. The laptop is used for the synchronization with the
iPod.

sdevans;168893 Wrote:
> Also I'd love it if my playlists created on the ipod could be used by
> the squeezebox? I understand there is some integration between
> Squeezeboxes and Itunes, but since my music is stored in FLAC I don't
> know if that's an option. I haven't verified this myself, but I thing you
> should be able to do
something like. Take a copy of your iTunes library xml file and open it
in a text editor and use replace to replace ".mp3" to ".flac" and also
replace the beginning of the paths from for example
"D:\MyMp3MusicFromItunes" to "/home/xxx/MyFLACMusicForSlimserver". This
should get you a iTunes xml files which point to the correct files and
now you can just point slimserver to this and perform a rescan to show
the playlists in slimserver.
As I said above I haven't verified that this actually work, so I might
have missed something.

--
erland

Erland Isaksson