Michael Herger wrote:
Yet no one else has related similar experiences

I've learned to sleep in trains, buses, at home, in the field, hanging from some bolt in a vertical wall. This helps.

That should be listed as a software requiremenyt on the box, perhaps. I've had the opposite problem, an SB failing to wake me up when my DSL line was down. Fixed that by playing local files.

all don?t have the SB in their bedrooms.

I use it everyday as my alarm clock.

So do I, but I don't have it on my night stand, but on a cupboard against the wall opposite from the bed. It's always displaying the clock and that's no problem to me or the GF.

probably only down for maintenance at such early hours, can?t you be
more discrete about it, like maybe an email the next morning, or the
day before, even though I don?t see why such advise is necessary.

That's a reasonable suggestion.

how can I keep this thing from happening again?

Get a timed power switch which turns off power on your devices at night. Or unplug manually. As long as you rely on external services (as the SQN) you always risk to experience the unexpected.

Since there seem to be quite a few people who don't like the always on nature of the SB"s. Perhaps it would be a good idea to allow them to turn off (press POWER for a few seconds, or shutdown from the server). This, combined with Wake-On-Lan (for the SB's) could allow people to schedule their uptimes. Shutting down the server could take down the SB's automatically. Any recognized IR signal would power the devices up.

Regards,
Peter