Wait, this may be it. I was just experimenting with the remote for the
SB-3 and discovered that, while listening to music via SqueezeNetwork,
if I choose the “Connect to SlimServer” option from the main menu, this
logs me off SqueezeNetwork.   And if I do this while my PC is off (and
therefore SlimServer isn’t running), the display just goes blank, at
which point, I’m concluding, it’s logged onto NEITHER SqueezeBox nor
SlimServer.  While in this state, can I conclude that it’s basically
“turned off” and won’t display any messages that are transmitted by the
SqueezeNetwork OR SlimServer?  Then, to turn back on, I just hit the
left arrow, then select “Connect to SqueezeNetwork".  Notice in either
the "power down" or "power off" routines I just described that the red
button isn't involved at all.

Might this be a reliable way to “turn off” the device, to avoid
receiving messages from the SqueezeNetwork during the night, and that
actually pulling the plug, or putting a granola box over it,  may not
be necessary?

--
NauticusLX