meltsheep wrote:
I'm going to stick my neck out here ! Slimserver is a poor man's
*yawn*

solution to digital music management. The model is wrong and it won't
last. Why can't I rip CDs and play them via Squeezebox with one
application.

The model is excellent for my requirements.

I want to use iTunes or Amarok to manage my music and PUSH it to
Squeezebox. I'm fed up of having to add music to a READ ONLY repository
and not being able to tag it and play it directly from my file system in
one go. The PULL paradigm doesn't equate to my listening habits.

I don't.

If Squeezebox is going to retain a competitve edge it must do provide
something akin to providing a virtual sound driver that masquerades as
a device on windows / linux allowing you to play music over wifi to the
squeezebox. This was it would be client agnostic and not tie you into
using Slimserver. Surely this is real open-source model and the
direction slimserver should be taking.

That would be a nice option on the side, but I can live without it.

Why don't you just buy an Airport Express in the mean time?

Regards,
Peter