Studio_Two wrote:
I'm still pondering my purchase.

I have loaded SlimServer onto my Desktop Computer (upstairs) and loaded
SoftSqueeze onto my wireless laptop. I think this gives me a reasonable
idea of what I would be buying in to.

So far, I really like it, but I do agree that the process of ripping a
music CD "into" SlimServer is not an intuitive one.

I don't really have any experience of iTunes, but I imagined that the
SB3 would include similar software to help me build up / manage my
music collection.

Would something like this really be so hard to put together? At the
moment, I have resorted to using EAC in conjunction with MP3TAG.

It's quite logical IMHO. There's no reason these two functions should be in one application. They never used to be. In the days of WinAmp nobody thought so. Now that Apple has pushed (literally as I found out when I wanted to install Quicktime) iTunes on everyone it suddenly becomes 'logical' and natural to combine all this in one app.

I don't need Acrobat Writer in order to view documents. I don't need a CD burner to play CD's. A music collection is a bunch of files created to common standards (with id tags). When a bunch of files generated by another application is stored in the slimserver music folder you can play them. What more do you want?

Your choice of ripping software may not be the smartest. EAC/Lame/flac may be the gold standard for quality, they're not really user friendly. Get something else instead, I think a lot of people use dbPowerAmp (I haven't used it). Make it write its files to your slimserver music folder and you're all set. Couldn't be much easier without making it restrictive (like iTunes).

Slimserver is a server product. iTunes is a client/stand allone app. Huge difference.

Regards,
Peter