P Floding wrote:
I'm not familiar with Moose, but I would have thought that today's
browsers would have enough scriptability etc to allow a pretty slick
user interface? Perhaps I'm wrong.. I haven't looked into web
programming for a long time. (It was sort of in it's infancy when I
last time worried about such things.)

It depends on how slick you want to be, and how many browsers you want to support. All the fancy AJAX stuff is just javascript, there really is nothing new other than the name itself, which is rapidly becoming less of a meaningful acronym and more of a generic buzzword.

The problem with all slick browser stuff is that you have an installed base. Lots of users use a wide variety of browsers with assorted levels of patches. And sadly, the most popular one, MS InternetExplorer is the worst at complying with standards or working the same across versions.

For a company with serious engineering talent, such as Google, it is not a big deal to support all of it. But for a small team, paid or contributed, the combinatorial explosion of browser compatibility is very expensive. You have to write code that tests for feature existance, proper operation, etc. and then you have to Quality Test it against all the combinations. IE 5 on Win98 is not IE6 on XP.

You can do it, it is just a SMOP.
Small matter of programming.

Sometimes small is in the mind of the marketing product manager.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html