totoro;174629 Wrote:
> Trivially easy? No. Easier than the alternatives? yes.
>
> I'm actually a pretty dyed-in-the wool c++ bigot, so I don't give the
> recommendation to use java lightly (I could chew your ear off about
> what a complete joke java generics are, but that's awfully OT). But
> maintaining a gui in a cross platform environment written in c/c++
> sounds pretty unpleasant to me.

But there's an alternative-- the browser. Though widely derided by both
the knowledgeable and not-so-knowledgeable on this forum, I really think
Slimserver's Perl, Template::Toolkit, and skin API makes building a gui
in a cross-platform environment pretty manageable. AJAX is the bridge
that makes the browser a viable UI for this type of app.

I'm also a big fan of those that are spinning things their own
direction-- Moose, Softsqueeze, SlimRemote, etc. That's why an open
source model makes for such a rich set of alternatives.

#!/ben

I'm doing my best to be the anti-complainer today. I'm not sure why,
but today's posts were probably the most contentious I've ever seen.
There are some people spending an enormous amount of effort typing out
passive aggressive (and in some cases, massive aggressive) insults back
and forth endlessly. Don't you realize there are better ways to spend
your time? In fact, I'm going to take that advice and pour myself a wee
dram of Highland Park and call it a day. Cheers!

--
bklaas

"the Nokia770 skin guy"