bklaas wrote:
Is cross-platform support in java easy?

Sure, if you want minimal common subset.
Oh, you don't like that. Hmm, then it isn't so easy.

Programs in any language are only as good as their designers, but I see
a far higher percentage of apps written in java that turn out to be
garbage.

I will make the jump that you mean application designers, and not language designers. Mostly because it is the application design you see, not the sausage behind it. Its not the language, its the designers or perhaps the amount of effort that the implementors are willing to put into the application.

Good design is hard. Period. Good user design is very hard, and gets harder the more widespread your user community is. Wider can be measured in variety of users (expert, casual) or variety of domain (medical nurses versus patients). Wider can mean platforms, versions, or interests. I listen to a lot of jazz and bluegrass, so the players and sidemen are important. This is not important for pop or rap, most of the session musicians are not even credited.

Finding a design that makes a classical music nut happy while keeping a jazz or pop nut happy is nearly impossible. I had a friend with hundreds of Grateful Dead concert tapes, I have no idea what kind of structure would make navigating through that work. What do you do to identify specific takes when you have 500 copies of a song?

Skins help a lot, but they can only go so far.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html