I've been using the "Touch-Screen" interface to control Slimserver via a
tablet PC for a few days now and I gotta say anyone who is complaining
about the browser interface is just nutz.  It works very well.
Browsing by cover art is such a nice way to select music, and if you
don't use gigantic .jpg files for the art work it is very fast.

Maybe the people complaining about the web interface speed are running
on old, slow PCs (though my tablet is only a 500 MHz celeron with 128
MB of ram), or running very slow network cards (I am using a g card),
or maybe they have a lot of network traffic going on while they are
trying to control slimserver (running bittorrent for example).

I have found a couple small bugs and annoyances.  The biggest problem
is that the cover art pages are broken up alphabetically into groups of
letters.  For example, if I want to go to disc titles that start with
the letter L, the discs that start with J,K,L, and M are all displayed
on one page so I have to scroll through the page to get to the L discs.
I understand that you wouldn't want to have a single page for all the
artwork because it would be slow to load on a system with a big
library, but why not just do a separate page for each letter?  That way
when you hit L it will go right to L.  Scrolling on my touchscreen is a
bit of a pain.

I found a bug that affects the playlist display.  When I first go to
the playlist page, it shows the songs in the list along with all the
artists, but for some reason, after several seconds, the artists all
change to read the same 4 digit year number, as if something in the
server is grabbing the year tag from one of the songs and substituting
it for the artist field in all the songs in the playlist.  I haven't
figured the exact conditions that cause it but when I do I'll check
bugzilla and submit a report if it isn't already there.

Another bug is that when browsing by cover art with the discs sorted by
artist, the letters to select the search near the top of the page don't
agree with the actual pages that come up.  For example, the page that
is supposed to display R, S, T actually displays everything from R - Z.
Selecting the U, V, W, X, Y, or Z brings up an empty page.

TD

--
tyler_durden