Aragorn;175250 Wrote:

> I have at least three friends who asked me about feedback about my
> squeezebox. My answer: great hardware, software which is just for jerks
> that want to spend more time in debugging that playing music. In short -
> SORRY, BUT I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT -
>
> The driver would be a very, very good idea. If this is not possible, a
> software product (whatever it is) that works and do not introduce more
> bugs any new release like ss does.Do you want a device driver because you
> think there would be less bugs
in a system that consisted of a completely newly written device driver
+ an external application not written by Logitech ?
Or do you really want the device driver for the functionality ?

The reason I'm asking is because newly written code often has more bugs
in it than old code and this is especially true if code from different
companies shall collaborate.

I'm not arguing that a device driver is wrong, I'm just checking that
you want it for the right reason.

The problem with slimserver is that the environment it runs in can be
completely different.
- Some people uses MP3 files some other people uses FLAC files.
- Some uses iTunes or MusicIP plugins for scanning files and some uses
the native scanning mechanism builtin in slimserver.
- Different software is used for tagging music files.
- Some people knows what tags are other have no idea what a tag is
- Slimserver runs on different operating systems.
- People are having different type of networks, some wireless some
wired.
- Some people are running slimserver on servers, some are running it on
the desktop where new games and other applications are installed every
week.
- Sound quality is number one priority for SlimDevices, while other
products might focus more on usability than sound quality.

The problem with this senario is that it is impossible for SlimDevices
to test all different configurations without the help of the end users.
I know this might sound bad, but we are not talking about Microsoft here
we are talking about a quite small company (at least until Logitech
bought SlimDevices).

I'm running my slimserver on a server and has only been running
official releases on it. I have only FLAC music over a wireless network
and it has been running for about a year now. I can honestly say that I
haven't had a single problem during this time. I know you guys that are
having problems might not feel any better because of this, but at least
it shows that it can actually work really good.

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.homeip.net) 'My download page'
(http://erland.homeip.net/download)
Custom Scan,  Custom Skip, Multi Library and RandomPlayList plugins'
(http://wiki.erland.homeip.net/index.php/Category:SlimServer))