Completely agree with you Pat and that's why I did put a warning in my
uncomfortable with disabling it should following bergek's suggestion of
starting the service manually.

I do, however, think we've now worked out why SS won't work (without
assistance) under Vista. I'd also note that SS isn't the only program
that I've had to disable the UAC for to get it to run or even install
under Vista. Unfortunately, I beleive there are now 1000s of Vista
users who have had no choice but to disable the UAC until they get
Vista compliant updates of various bits of software.

--
mertles