tyler_durden wrote:
> The only functionality added in the SB would be to recognize the
> thumbdrive and use it as the buffer.  Maybe a thumbdrive can't be
> accessed where read and write take place almost simultaneously...

I'm not one to address whether or not this (the thumb-on-SB idea) is a
good idea, but flash drives are very bad buffers. Flash memory wears
out, or has 'memory', so you don't want to write to it a zillion times.
Using flash memory for a buffer or swap space is just not a good idea.
When flash memory is used as a pseudo-disk, the driver sprays writes to
different sectors to avoid over working any one part.

For buffers, you want to use boring old RAM, or for specialized cases,
RAM setup as a queue in hardware.

For MP3 or FLAC files that a SB handles natively, since the SB2, you are
approaching negligible improvement with larger buffers unless you have
really bad wireless networking. Of course, for non-native lossless, you
might occasionally need a larger buffer, but why would you want to use
something besides FLAC :-)

Pat

--
Pat