I’m afraid I can’t offer any technical explanations, and can
see no logic as too why there should be any connection between adjusting
IP settings and what seems like a power failure to the squeezebox.

However, I can pin-point the time of my squeezebox crashing to
assigning the squeezebox and server an IP address within my router
(previously I had given a static IP to squeezebox and server running
slim).

After a post from Ur[s]uS: …If the IP address of the slimserver
computer changes, once Power On is pressed, the SB3 attempts to
connect, but collapses into what looks like turned off…, I
realised this was the same as had happened to mine. I’d guess
it’s most likely to be a power issue and coincidence, but if
it’s documented and anyone else has this problem after changing
IP settings…

--
w4rren