Michael is correct.  One may overcome the CPU limitations by running
SlimServer on a separate box, but file transfers will be slower from a
NAS than from a local disk.

I think the cause of the disgruntledness for many NAS owners is that
they bought the NAS with the expectation that it would work fine.
Certainly, I was under that impression when I bought my ReadyNAS X6,
and my expectations were met until SS 6.5.  Scanning was always
sluggish, but the web UI and remote responses were OK.  As of 6.5.1, I
see better scanning performance, the remote response is OK, but the web
UI is very, very slow.

Admittedly, I knew that would happen before I went to 6.5, but I chose
to upgrade anyway.  I rarely use the web UI and I can live with it for
now.  Incidentally, I have 1GB of memory in the ReadyNAS.

Eventually, I may take an old laptop and use it for SlimServer with the
files on the NAS.

In my opinion, SD should either address the problem, or they should put
some serious disclaimers on the ReadyNAS bundle (or stop selling it).

--
jeffmeh