We're about to remodel our kitchen/dining area, and I am thinking about
installing 1 or 2 pair of in-ceiling speakers. This won't be for
critical listening. But realistically this system will probably get
more use than the "main" system in the living room, so it needs to
sound good, at least up to moderate volume levels. I'm thinking of
spending up to $300-400 per pair of speakers, going for the lower side
if I end up with 2 pair, although I think 1 pair might suffice.

Among the names that I've seen mentioned most frequently are Polk
Audio, Boston Acoustics, B&W, Linn, and some others that escape me
right now. I know that speaker likes and dislikes are very subjective,
but I still would like to hear what others have to say before I go out
and audition some.

At this point I'm thinking of driving them with an AudioSource A100 amp
(or 2 if I go with 2 pair of speakers) or maybe Sonic T-amp(s). I'm
planning to tuck the amps away in the pantry, so I'm also thinking of
having a wall-mounted volume control, rather than have to reach for the
SB remote. Any suggestions there?

Thanks.

--
aubuti