Brian Ritchie;206270 Wrote:
> Before I go to bed, I turn off the SB3 (well, put it into standby, with
> the Big Red Button).  Then I power-down the PC, and turn off the cable
> modem and wireless router.
>
> So far, I'm not in the habit of unplugging the SB3 as well.  Though
> I've set it to show the time (dimly) in standby, once the network's
> gone, the screen goes blank.
>
> Sometimes when I start everything else up, the SB3 wakes up as well,
> and is ready for use by the time I come downstairs.  Sometimes it stays
> blank, and I have to hit the Red Button; and sometimes it goes blank
> after "Connecting..." and I have to hit the Red Button several times
> (e.g. once to get it to start "Waking...", then again when it reaches
> "Connecting...", which makes it cycle back to "Waking...", which might
> work this time...)
>
> However, after turning everything else on yesterday (and making sure
> SlimServer was running), the SB3 had trouble connecting to SS.  When I
> looked more closely, I noticed that the SB3 was still trying to use the
> previous day's IP address for the PC, which was different from
> yesterday's.
>
> Presumably - and not unreasonably - the SB3 didn't treat the loss of
> network as a reason to  re-quiz the router/DNS for the server's IP
> address. Pressing the Red Button during the "Connecting..." phase, or
> using the left arrow to go back one step, didn't fix it. Going back a
> couple of steps and re-running the network connection bits from scratch
> did the trick. (Thankfully it didn't ask for my WPA password again.) But
> that got me wondering whether I'm not quite doing things the right way.
>
> Given that I will definitely not be leaving the PC, nor even the
> network, running overnight, should I *definitely* be unplugging the SB3
> as well? Or is this likely to shorten its lifespan somehow?
>
> OTOH, could my present behaviour have helped to wear out the poor
> thing's wireless card (which was replaced recently)?  Does the SB3 go
> mad if it can't find the network?
>
> -- Brian

Set the SlimServer and the SqueezeBox to fixed IP's.
Things will behave much better when rebooting things.

I have my PC set to wake on lan. So everything shuts down on it's own.
I hit power (red button) and it's up in about 4 seconds. You have to
hit power a second time because the squeezebox needs the server up to
know what the power on was for (it decides what to do on coming out of
standby, since it wasn't there on first power up it doesn't know what
to do).

It's a little glitchy but works.

I pick IP's either out of DHCP range or at the opposite end of where
they are allocated from to avoid conflicts.

--
mswlogo