adamslim;212538 Wrote:
> No, importantly incorrect.  Stealing a CD denies the record store of a
> product that they could sell.  Sharing music illegally denies the
> copyright holder their revenue stream only; if the recipient of the
> music was never going to buy it, no-one has actually lost anything.
> There is a big difference (including legally) between breach of
> copyright and theft.
>
> Not a defence of sharing, just a pedant moment ;)
>
> Adam

Okay, so the copyright holder gets compensated when you steal the CD,
but the store loses money, so there is, I grant you, a pendantic
difference there.  But one that serves to illustrate my point quite
well... most people would never consider stealing from a store, but
they have no qualms about denying fair compensation to a rights holder.
It boggles my mind.

The whole idea of "I wouldn't have bought it, therefore there is no
crime" is completely bogus under law.  Copyright law is pretty clear
about it: you cannot benefit from a copyrighted work for which you
haven't been granted some form of license.  Listening to a downloaded
file that you did not pay for (or wasn't offered free by the rights
holder) -- whether you would have bought it or not -- means, legally
speaking, that you have derived a benefit from a work to which you had
no rights.  That means you've violated the law.

Civil crimes are still crimes, just classed differently.

--
JimC