results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19369
Question: Do you have a 770?

- Got it
- Want it
- Need it
- Forget it

NigelMSB;214226 Wrote:
> Why not check for "Maemo" and for "Tablet browser"?  It's unlikely that
> Microsoft will change to using those.

I'm going to read into the minds of the folks putting together the
Nokia Opera browser-- my guess is that one of the big complaints that
they get from users is that they get an error message saying they can't
browse (insert critical-to-user website address here) because (insert
critical-to-user website address here) parses the user agent string and
dumps an error if it's not IE. Different sites employ different methods
of parsing the user agent string, thus the best thing for Nokia Opera
to do is spoof as IE as closely as possible. At least, that's what I'd
do.

IMO, it seems like the Maemo Opera user agent string is a moving
target, so this is an uphill battle with possible breaks down the
line.

I'm still of the opinion that IE users are out of luck if they point
their browser to Nokia770/ skin, and its not a necessary function of
slimserver to redirect to Touch in these situations. It's a noble idea,
but if it incorrectly redirects (some) Nokia users, I'm not for it.

As for an official stance of not supporting IE on the Nokia770/ skin,
I'm pretty sure that is the case. There's a dev forum thread from last
year I could dig up that discusses just that...

As an alternative, I'm going to try to post to a Maemo forum sometime
today and ask if there's any part of the user agent string that I can
absolutely count on not to go away that identifies the browser as
coming from the Maemo browser (much as Nigel has suggested).

cheers,
#!/ben

--
bklaas