Don't forget that power usage can become an issue with a server (or
other machine that's on 24x7).
I'd suggest, if you can stand to do it, building a box around one of
the Via processors. This is what I did, and with the following
components
via C3
1G ram
1.5T disk
"80+" power supply
I get a draw of under 60W (actually I have a firewall, gigabit router,
wireless router and this server plugged into a UPS and, using a
kill-a-watt meter between the UPS and the wall, I get 59.9W).

Still not as good as, say, a 1TB NAS.

Your other option is to use something that can read from whatever SMB
servers it can find. The Turtle Beach Audiotron can do this - but it
can't play flac, ogg or ape. There was quite a user community, though
(I think lots of audiotron users ended up here at SD). There was at
least one indexing utility so, when the audiotron started up it'd just
read the index - so no long wait. Oh - and it's can't deal with more
than 14K (or so) audio files.

I've no idea if the Roku can just read SMB - anyone know?

--
bobkoure