MattB;252083 Wrote:

> Re 4), I don't know linux and don't want to.  I just want to buy a
> music player.  I don't want to leave my computer on all of the time,
> but would be happy to leave a NAS on all of the time.  Whether this
> makes sense or not doesn't really matter because it is driving how I
> spend my money.  Which I am happy to give to SD if they make a product
> that can fill the need.  Sonos does, but it is more expensive.  I am
> willing to give up the fancy remote of Sonos for less money, but expect
> similar features -- like the ability to read music directly from the NAS
> without any hacks.
> Again, sorry for being critical of the SB and SD, but unless you can
> tell me that my issues above are wrong, these really are unacceptable
> problems in a third generation product.  While this product is great
> for people who are hard core techies, it will never survive with
> non-techies who don't have an IT department unless these issues are
> fixed...

No, your issues are not wrong, they are perfectly valid from the
consumer/clinet point of view. And you have right to vote with your
wallet. Sonos unit offers some goodies that you consider important.
However, they come with the price (I understand more than double). You
may not realize it, but the techincall difference between the two is
more than just a fancy remote.

However, as you have noticed, this product is (has been) geared towards
the somewhat technical crowd that tends to "get involved", or have needs
that match the product.

For example, I don't care for internet feeds all that much. Prefer
higher quality sound and to listen to the music of my own choioce. I
also poses technical ability to get "out of the box" functionality from
SB in about 5 minutes. So for me, SB is perfect and offers much more
value than sonos. After all, how often one makes $300+ for a 5 minutes
of work.

Now, if you choose to still give a SB concept a chance, you might find
out that some of your concerns are easily resolved. For example:

- slow and non-responsive remote: I have re-mapped my amp's remote to
control SB with its CD dedicated keys. It is way faster and SB reacts
to it better that to the original one.

- too many keystrokes: there's a plugin called 'Lazy Search'. Very nice
piece that would allow you to get to  your exemplary 7 character search
in maybe 4 or 5 strokes. (it's not based on 26 key kbd, but on the
theory of probability - 'smart involvement rather than throwing money
away', at works again)

- PC vs. NAS: right now, I'm listening to the music away from home that
comes from 'buddy'. I left it on this morning when I left home. 'Buddy'
is my music server, that I choose not to call either PC or NAS. So, no
PCs or NOSs involved, just 'buddy' :). Seriously, you do realise that
NOS is just a PC in a different skin and with the serious performance
issues. So, if you are going to have something on, it really doesn't
matter how it's called. Lots of people here have old PCs that are used
as NAS's, always on and tucked somewhere away.

But hey, if you still shoose to go different route, there's nothing
wrong with that too.

slimkid

The sound stage will open up, bass will tighten and the imaging will
improve. DVD performance will also increase substantially.