Zaragon;255233 Wrote:

> Another market is for people that want to put sound into places where
> an SB3 isn't convenient like bathrooms, kitchens or even in the garden.
> Here the remote provides the display that would be hard to site in the
> other locations. Even where sound is centrally wired you can just stack
> the receivers.
>
> In these markets the cost of the remote is likely to be outweighed by
> its capabilities.
>
> For the experienced guys on this forum they have already found answers
> to those problems with devices like the N800 and got used to them so
> introducing the new remote has to have a more fundemental capability.
> Though since the players are all slim then it is likely that those
> controllers will continue to be useable.

I think it is even more. As I see it today, I think the remote is one
of two inhibitors to make the
NAS-IntelligentServer-StreamingClient-Amplifier Architecture the
dominant home audio architecture and the controller is a good approach
to solve this.
I still prefer my iPod touch, but then, I haven't seen the Contoler yet
in real life.
'Normal' remotes tie the user up in front of the streaming client, and
having used one for a few years, I know it's a nuisance to browse
databases on a small text display with limited capabilities in such a
unit.
Geeks solve all this, but the mass don't. So, that's how I came to the
Squeezebox: I was looking for a system that controls the client through
the server so that I could write a front end for the iPod. Thus iPeng.
But if you use that or the Controler is just flavors of the same idea.
And the time for this idea obviously has come.

Now somebody has to solve the other problem: Getting your music onto a
NAS for dummys...

--
pippin

---