Zaragon;255233 Wrote:
> With all the various opinions about the new remote the one thing you
> have to remember is the various markets that the systems are aimed at.
>
> Right now Slim/Logitech have a fairly fully featured multi-room sound
> system all controllable from a single remote that as far as I can work
> out is much cheaper than most, if not all, their competitors.
> Irrespective of price this is good for them and ultimately good for
> everyone as increased sales means reduced costs. Whilst that doesn't
> necessarily mean cheaper prices it means their more likely to be around
> in the long term with SB4 and SB5 or what ever.
>
> Another market is for people that want to put sound into places where
> an SB3 isn't convenient like bathrooms, kitchens or even in the garden.
> Here the remote provides the display that would be hard to site in the
> other locations. Even where sound is centrally wired you can just stack
> the receivers.
>
> In these markets the cost of the remote is likely to be outweighed by
> its capabilities.
>
> For the experienced guys on this forum they have already found answers
> to those problems with devices like the N800 and got used to them so
> introducing the new remote has to have a more fundemental capability.
> Though since the players are all slim then it is likely that those
> controllers will continue to be useable.
>
> As for including capability that isn't used out of the box well how
> many other devices do you know that do that. Whilst you might say none
> the really answer is that these guys have told you that its there,
> others don't.
>
> Bottom line, does the new devices do what you want and do they
> represent good value to you.
>
> Personally I love the VU screen saver :) but the new remote offers some
> intriguing possibilities that make it worth it for me.

Ding, ding, ding!  We have a winner.

Duet is intended to provide *another* type of solution for our current
and future users.  It isn't going to be ideal for everyone, but it will
work well for a lot of people.

We're still building and selling SB3 and Transporter, and continuing to
develop additional products for the family.  If this particular
iteration isn't your cup of tea, nothing's really changed for you.  You
can still use the same gear you have, in the same fashion.

You can buy an iPod touch to use as your controller, or pick up an N800
if you would like.

-=> Jim

--
JimC

"well, she wasn't all of that, but she sure was some of that."  --
BKlaas' college buddy