I'm in the it's too expensive camp as well.  I think what's happened to
many of us is that we feel we've been offered a $300 remote control for
our SB3s and Transporters and clearly that's a lot of money for a
dedicated remote control (i.e., not a universal).  No offense to SD,
but the initial explanation of "it cost us a lot to build, so it has to
cost that much for you.  Plus, we'll do the basic stuff to make the
remote control work, but enabling the extra hw will be your
responsibility to take care of" comes off as a little arrogant.  I
understand and honestly believe that's not what the SD folks feel, but
it can appear that way if you read through the early part of the thread
- at least it did to me.  If it appeared that SD had a roadmap for more
functionality, I might have felt differently.

The fact is that there are folks paying more for the SONOS remote, so
the market supports the pricing.  In the end, that's all that really
matters.  I'd personally rather hear that answer because it makes sense
to me and isn't offensive in any way - it's just business.  If you don't
like it, buy a Harmony, buy nothing, or buy the more expensive SONOS
option (ignoring the SC host hw requirements that is).

In the end, I'll probably also buy the duet combo because I want to
hide my transporter from view and for $100 another SB is hard to pass
up.

--
thomsens