To those that likes the SqueezeBox Controller to be a universal remove I
can honestly say that I had the exact same idea until I felt the Jive
prototype.

After having the chance to use the Jive prototype I've changed my
feelings a bit. A Harmony remote based on Jive software would be really
great, but my feeling is that it will never be as great as SqueezeBox
Controller to control the SqueezeBox players. The reason is that the
SqueezeBox Controller is optimized to control a SqueezeBox player and
Harmony universal remote won't be. The Harmony remote on the other hand
will be optimized for controlling several types of equipement which the
SqueezeBox Controlder won't be.

My feeling is that the optimal solution will be:
1. A Harmony remote which is used for power on your system and doing
simple things like launching a random playlist.
2. A dedicated SqueezeBox Controller for browsing your library when you
look for something to listen to.

If you like one device to solve both these problems it will be a
compromise that isn't really good at anything. Using two devices like
this will not be a major problem for me, the reason is that in most
cases would be able to do what I want from the Harmony remote. In some
cases when I get inspired and like to find something different to
listen to, I'll pickup the SqueezeBox Controller and browse my library.
The SqueezeBox Controller would be a replacement for the laptop which I
today use when I like to browse and search my library when I don't now
exactly what I'm looking for.

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.homeip.net) 'My download page'
(http://erland.homeip.net/download)
Custom Scan,  Custom Skip, Multi Library and Database Query plugins'
(http://wiki.erland.homeip.net/index.php/Category:SlimServer))