erland;256144 Wrote:
> To those that likes the SqueezeBox Controller to be a universal remove I
> can honestly say that I had the exact same idea until I felt the Jive
> prototype.
>
> After having the chance to use the Jive prototype I've changed my
> feelings a bit. A Harmony remote based on Jive software would be really
> great, but my feeling is that it will never be as great as SqueezeBox
> Controller to control the SqueezeBox players. The reason is that the
> SqueezeBox Controller is optimized to control a SqueezeBox player and
> Harmony universal remote won't be. The Harmony remote on the other hand
> will be optimized for controlling several types of equipement which the
> SqueezeBox Controlder won't be.
>
> My feeling is that the optimal solution will be:
> 1. A Harmony remote which is used for power on your system and doing
> simple things like launching a random playlist.
> 2. A dedicated SqueezeBox Controller for browsing your library when you
> look for something to listen to.

I'm not really disagreeing with you, but it sure seems to me like the
3-axis accelerometer could make up for missing buttons in a given
context. Maybe it wouldn't make a perfect universal controller, but it
seems like it could work well for daily-use.
But, I guess we won't know until some folks start hacking out code for
the thing. Who knows? We might all be surprised by how useful the SBC
ends up being.

Mitch

--
Mitch G