willyhoops;259181 Wrote:
> Remember the HDMI output means sound quality is unlimited.

Only if you have an HDMI capable DAC. Outside of home theater I'm not
aware of too many of those.

> Then you could play any CD in the world and move anything you fancy onto
> your ipod all for a flat monthy fee.
I'll believe that when I see it. 50% (rough guess) of the music I buy
isn't even on iTunes for sale yet, never mind rental. Recently we've
seen more pushing against Apple from the major labels, and Amazon are
making very good ground. Interesting times.

> $325 for 160Gb Apple TV vs $400 for simple duet + remote

The duet is far from "simple" - particularly compared to the AppleTV.
The level of functionality and convenience (for audio, obviously) is
far higher IMHO.

> I think it's that slimdevices have been too focused on the people on
> this site who like to hack and play with degrees in geeek.

When you have a community-built product it tends to become a
community-focussed product. I find that refreshing and it's obviously a
key part of what makes the product line so successful. And yes, IMHO you
can be considered successful without selling 100m units.

> The key to software development is to reign in the geeks and focus
> pragmatically on the real user.

Actually the key is to first identify your users, then identify what
they want, and then get the best geeks you can to build it for them. As
a user, AppleTV doesn't do what I want, neither does Sonos. Maybe that
puts me in a minority, fine, so be it. I'm happy to have the option to
get the product which does do what I want - diversity is a good thing
:)

--
radish