Andy, I have exactly the same experience as the OP.  My system does a
full clear and rescan at 4am and I have not added any music today.  I
use MusicIP, but no changes to the database/cache there either.  I also
get 2 database cleanups on a playlist only scan as follows (c/p):

-Playlist Scan   (  of  )   Complete  00:00:03
Merge Various Artists   (0 of  0)   Complete  00:00:13
Database Cleanup #1   (0  of  0)   Complete  00:00:20
Database Cleanup #2   (0  of  )   Complete  00:00:17
Database Optimize   (0  of  )   Complete  00:00:14
SqueezeCenter has finished scanning your music collection.Total
Time:00:01:07-

It's not an issue for me because the scans are done pretty quickly (my
playlists are short), but I don't think it can be as a result of new
music needing to be added to the database.

--
Siduhe