>>>for the time being, yes it is.<<
>
> This is the second unhelpful response you've given me, kdf.

I'm sorry you feel that way.  However, it was intended as a very simple
response to a simple question.  The process is there for many reasons.
Every check through playlists involves gathering new data (even if the
data is already in the database), which then needs post-scan processing to
sort out where it fits into the database.  In time, we may work out ways
to get rid of post scan, but for now it's necessary. It isn't always about
NEW data, but doing as good a job as possible to match the playlist
information with all that has been done to organise the metadata for the
tracks referenced.

In many aspects, it's similar to a "check new and changed" scan, but in
this case only the files listed in playlists and the playlists themselves,
instead of the whole library.

-kdf